Thursday, April 13, 2006


I'm having a lot of fun trying to replace the stolen iakus of my canoe. I'm actually learning a lot of things about the canoe itself thanks to this. This is one more example that there is always something good in everything. You just have to look for it...

This is prototype #1 made, just like #2, out of the arms of an old unusable alluminum boom (thanks Alex). It turned out to be much better then #2, for the reasons I wrote in the post below. I only have to fix the problem that the screw of the ama enters the iaku with a 45 degrees angle and it's not easy to insert and tighten. But I just had an idea... stay tuned!

In the meantime, let me draw your attention to the color of the water of the south shore of Maui. On the north shore, at the same moment, the wind was gusting up to 40 mph, with frequent abundant squalls (acquazzoni, in italian). The variety of climates/conditions in Maui still shocks me after 5 years...

I was rigging the canoe and a mainland tourist lady asked me:"excuse me, are you from around here?"
"yes, ma'am"
"is there a better place to do snorkeling? Here the water is a bit cloudy..."
I answered:"at the aquarium you can probably find some clearer water than this..."
Believe me. It was cristal clear. I could see all kind of fish on the bottom.

This is one more example that there is always something bad in everything. You just have to look for it...

So, what are YOU looking for?
Attitude is everything...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Great philosophy. Always gleaning from your blog for some inspiration..

cammar said...

I had to look up "glean"... I learned a new word. Thanks!