Friday, August 08, 2008

Uppers jumping fest

Wednesday I busted out the helmet cam and caught a few good sailors practicing at Uppers.
I saw Levi's sail and followed him for a while, but he wasn't jumping at all (maybe he couldn't for some kind of injury or something). So I looked around for another "prey" and I found some satisfaction in Jake "the snake" Miller. It doesn't rime, but he should be nicknamed "the grasshopper" instead... got that push loop down, Jake!
All the jumps but the third (by Skyler Haywood) in the following little video are by him.


Yesterday, instead, around 3.40 there was a big squall coming through and the wind got so strong for 15 minutes that I sailed perfectly powered on a 3.7 and 63l board. I actually could have used a smaller board...
Crazy wind. let's see what's on the menu today. Despite the wind, the windswell is not really picking up yet. Well, actually the Mokapu point buoy went up to 7 feet, 8 seconds, but from 90 degrees straight and that direction doesn't hit Hookipa and Uppers as well as when it comes from the 70s...
Oh well...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

head high at Waiehu today. "trim" the kite and grab your board (or balls) ... there were even some surfers out - I would not have gone tho. hope for more swell tomorrow, i'm finally getting into some summer surf :-)

cammar said...

Yep, Waiehu does get the 90 degrees windswell.
Surfing with 30 knots onshore is not my idea of epic conditions though...
Good job with the kite. I'll try to hit Hoo this (Saturday) afternoon instead. The bouy is now 8 feet, 9 seconds and with a few degrees of north in it... maybe chest to shoulder head?
Have fun at san fran!

Anonymous said...

What a day that was, loads of nice jumps out there. I had to go in when the squall came through as I was on a 4.7m and there was no way I could hang on. After it passed there was this massive rainbow that formed across the sky. What a windsurfing paradise Maui is!