Sunday, June 13, 2010

June new moon low tide...

...pretty much as low as it gets.















A couple of extremely rare knee high CLEAN waves.



Fortunately, I was able to entertain myself with these photos, because the surfing, as usual, sucked.
I can take knee high and clean or shoulder high and onshore, but not the two things (knee high and onshore) together. And that is what most of the times, unfortunately, Maui's south shore offers when the buoy is at 2 feet.
Under the same conditions, Oahu offers shoulder high and offshore, that's why last year I went there and had a blast.

Fortunately, I can now see the first decent fetch in the south pacific maps. This one is forecasted to happen on Thursday June 17 and that means after one week we'll have a big south swell. Bigger than two feet at the buoy, so hopefully we'll see some energy in the water.
I wouldn't get excited if I were you, since you never know with the south swells... but I am actually excited because it will hopefully be my return on a regular surfboard. Man, I hope I can still pop upright...


Very nice webcast of the Battle of the paddle yesterday from Waikiki (good job Bart, who came in before Mark, Scott and Livio!). Today's there's a "downwind" course. Start at 10am Hawaii time.

1 comment:

Catapulting Aaron said...

Hey Giampaolo,

I was on Oahu for the last 5 days, and I can attest that it was indeed shoulder high or better at times on the south shore. Great fun, but not enough wind for me.