Sunday, November 16, 2014

11 16 14 morning call

4am main swell buoy readings:

Maui north shore
4.5ft @ 13s from 335° (NNW)
3.1ft @ 9s from 343° (NNW)

West lanai
2ft @ 13s from 208° (SSW)

Waves went down to a really fun size, but the wind is about to turn north and ruin them.

Here's the wind map that shows the fetch of north wind very close to the islands.
 


 
 
The Maui county @ 2km map at 6am this morning, shows even better how close that fetch is, and active wind or not, you can imagine that the waves are not going to be clean as they have been for the past two days with the lovely light Kona offshore wind.
Talking about which, I'm glad I quickly recovered by my Charlie horse thingy. Yes I did miss the 2 best days of the year so far, but I'm just stoked I'm back in the water already!

 
 
They show the onshore setting in around 10-11am, so hit the waves as early as you can!

 
 

South shore:
Don't be fooled by the Lanai buoy reading, it's the wrap of the NNW swell. Too bad because I have a lesson on the south shore and would have not minded a little bump.
Well, below is the weather map from a week ago. I circled a fetch of favorable winds that back then did create some waves headed our way. Are they going to make it all the way up here?
What kind of wind and currents did they meet during their (roughly) 7 days long journey?
Will the angular spreading of the big NW swell we had all week interfere with them?
Me and my student are going to find out.
I might not be the best surf instructor in Maui (ok, ok, top 10...), but I bet not many know what's in the water more than me. And this blog's followers.



BTW, trade winds back on Tuesday, but already gone by Saturday/Sunday.

Have fun in the sun everyone!

No comments: