Wednesday, April 01, 2015

1 4 15 morning call

The most remarkable thing about yesterday was how all the wind forecast models were wrong.

The wind in fact never really picked up to sailing levels and it was all about surfing all day.
Best session, as often, in the early morning, seen the glassy conditions.
Here's a nice shot from Jason Hall and his megapole. Someone commented "Will Hunt will find barrels in his bath tub".
Couldn't agree more.
 


I seem to have different skills, since I once wiped out in my bath tub.
To tell you the truth, I would have not gone for that close out drop if Jason wasn't there shooting.
That's why I like having him in the water. It just pushes you to try stuff you normally wouldn't in the hope of getting the shot. There was a slight possibility of pulling off that drop, but I got stuck in the lip. Got the shot anyway...


The buoys are down, today should be a fairly small day. Report from Hookipa coming up soon, I'll make sure to have a longboard with me.

Pauwela at 5am only shows windswell, even though at 4am it still had a couple of feet from the NW.
We better get used to that, since there's no much on the horizon, as you can probably remember from the lack of significant fetches in the north Pacific the past few days.
6.1ft @ 9s from 68° (ENE)
2.7ft @ 5s from 82° (E)
 

Today's wind map does show 4 fetches, but nothing really significant. 1 will send a tiny NW swell, the wind in 2 is too light, 3 has better wind but it's small (so another small NNW swell) and 4 is wide and big enough to send us a ENE windswell. Better than nothing. Slightly. The waves generated at the eastern end of the fetch should travel long enough to get up to 8-9 seconds, hopefully.

Lanai is reading
2.2ft @ 12s from 202° (SSW)
1.2ft @ 5s from 162° (SSE)
1ft @ 7s from 177° (S)
0.7ft @ 9s from 253° (WSW)
and that first swell means that the south shore is not flat either. Knee to occasional thigh high is my call.
I tilted the world a bit on this one to show you the very long distance that the waves from that fetch down under will have to travel. Nothing to get excited about, but once again, that'll keep the south shore at what uncle Pat calls summer background levels. Which most days means average waist high clean conditions all day in Waikiki. Knee high onshore mush from the late mornings to the evenings on Maui's south shore instead.




The wind models again call for strong wind this afternoon, but I tend to doubt that. They know much better than me though.
Notice also the 100% cloud cover that both call for tomorrow.



Oh, it's April first. Humans have the stupid habit of doing the April's fools thing. I once did one myself on this blog, it was too good to pass. You'll find it in this set of 7 posts I did back in 2010. Good read (I strongly recommend to scroll down and start from chapter 1) if you want to know more about me.

No comments: