Tuesday, October 20, 2015

10 20 15 morning call

 
Fun surfing on the south shore yesterday.

Gopro still not connecting to the computer with the USB cable, in the meantime that I get a microSD to SD card adapter, I have to do use my phone to upload stills to this morning's call... This is from yesterday morning.


Buoys 4am
NW
3.8ft @ 12s from 312° (NW)
2.3ft @ 9s from 208° (SSW)
1.4ft @ 7s from 78° (ENE)
1.3ft @ 7s from 18° (NNE)

Pauwela
4ft @ 7s from 78° (ENE)
2.2ft @ 12s from 324° (NW)
1.1ft @ 5s from 250° (WSW)

Barbers
3.4ft @ 13s from 209° (SSW)
1.3ft @ 9s from 257° (WSW)  
 

 
 
North shore is going to go up as the NW buoy reading and the Waimea graph (blue line) below suggest.
South shore INCREDIBLY consistent at 3.4f 13s.

I have to be in Kahului at 8.15 and so I'm going to surf Hookipa this morning and instead of feeling happy that I don't have to drive again to Lahaina, I feel pissed that I'm gonna miss another good session.

 
Should be windy.
 
Not many fetches today, I put an arrow on the position of Olaf.
 
 
This is how it looks from space.
 
And this is what the models think it's gonna do. Swell-wise, we're totally blocked by the Big Island right now, but we should start receiving easterly swell during the weekend.

 
But I'm not too worried about the east swell since, as Uncle Pat brilliantly summarized, we are in an "active surf mode from around the compass."

I strongly recommend reading Uncle Pat's articles (link in the meteo links) if you want to learn something about forecasting waves. It might be hard to follow when he describes fetches that happened days before with the only use of words, but you can have my blog open on another window and scroll down to the days he's referring to and see how the fetch looked like that day.
I actually do not understand why they don't give him the possibility to add weather maps, really. It would be about 100 times clearer.
 
Anyway, keep an eye on the barbers point buoy in the next few days if you want to see some looong period readings. Keep your fingers crossed too, because when it's down to angular spreading, you never know how much energy you're gonna get.
 

 

No comments: