Wednesday, May 25, 2016

5 25 16 morning call

Double Lahaina session for me yesterday, no action shots, here's how the west side sunset looked like. Photo by Jimmie Hepp.


3am significant buoy readings:
Pauwela
4.5ft @ 8s from 57° (ENE)

Lanai
2.1ft @ 13s from 193° (SSW)

South Pacific map of 7 days ago (18th) looks pretty mediocre, but I like the Lanai reading, so guess what... I'm going Lahaina side again. I have a lesson at 7.30 and of course I'll hit the water at 5.30 and get 1.5h of glassy surfing by myself first. Small waves? Doesn't matter. It's great traning (when you put your weight in the wrong spot on a small wave, the board just stops) and I just love being out there at dawn.


Wind map at noon below.



North Pacific wind map shows (from the left):
- a moderate NW fetch
- a weak NNW fetch
- a windswell fetch

Could be a lot worse. What I like is that those lows will kill the trades a bit, so the small waves that we should receive from them should be kinda clean.


Tasman sea taking a little break, but only for us. That's still waves being made for Fiji down there.


Here's a canoe paddle crossing to Lanai organized in October by my friend Patti Cadiz.

And here's a lovely little video featuring legendary Derek Hynd and his philosophy. If you like his frictionless sliding, check out this other one.

The man & the sea - Reelers Entry from Andrew Kaineder on Vimeo.

No comments: