Friday, September 23, 2016

9 23 16 morning call

Back to the "normal" two sessions yesterday, I definitely felt the tiredness of the six of the day before.

The waves were pumping on the Lahaina side, Mala looked like the best spot, but packed.
My second session was at Maalaea that instead only had three guys out. It was head high when I took this picture, unfortunately it went down to waist to chest high ones when I paddled out.

This guys is riding a 9.0 Bic longboard (a very high performance shape) with no center fin for more speed.


Blog reader Ralph Sifford was one of the three surfers.


Another nice one for the finless rider.


Significant buoy readings 4am.
Waimea
1.1ft @ 15s from 283° (WNW)

Pauwela
3.8ft @ 8s from 60° (ENE)
3.1ft @ 6s from 63° (ENE)
0.6ft @ 15s from 326° (NW)
0.6ft @ 12s from 65° (ENE)

A tiny bit of energy from NW at those buoys above, but mostly windswell on Maui's north shore. Surfline calls for 2f 11s from NW tomorrow. This energy will come from the weak NW fetch I pointed out on the wind maps of the past few days.
 
Lanai
2.4ft @ 15s from 202° (SSW)

W Hawaii
3ft @ 14s from 159° (SSE)

SE Hawaii
3.8ft @ 14s from 165° (SSE)

Angular swell still up at the buoys, even thought the period went down a bit. I'm very impressed by the energy of this swell, I wasn't expecting so much of it from a swell that was mostly aimed somewhere else, really.
Lahaina will be the call again for me, stay tuned for the beach reports.
 
Current wind map shows the weak (but getting wider) NW fetch, the windswell fetch and down south a fetch that I would have not even circled if it wasn't for how strong the current angular spreading swell has been. That fetch is shooting towards South America, I'm really curious to see if we're gonna get something in a week or not.
 
MC2km maps not updated yet, the two models at the bottom of the Windguru page show a day of strong easterly wind. The top one also show a lot of rain.
 
Which is confirmed in the early morning. The sound of the hard rain actually woke me up earlier than usual. Or was it because I went to sleep exhausted at 7.15pm?
Gonna be another good day, you guys... don't waste it!
 

No comments: