Saturday, November 12, 2016

11 12 16 morning call

Massive day of surfing all over the island, I guess I should start from the Peahi contest and give my big congratulations to Maui surfers Billy Kemper (Photo WSL / tony heff from this gallery) and Paige Alms for their victories.


On the other side of the island, Honolua Bay was firing too. Photos from this gallery by Jimmie Hepp.






These are the barrels I shot instead.




4am significant buoy readings
North shore
NW
6.5ft @ 13s from 334° (NNW)

N
9.2ft @ 14s from 331° (NNW)

Waimea
5.7ft @ 13s from 336° (NNW)
5.6ft @ 15s from 334° (NNW)

Pauwela
8.1ft @ 13s from 343° (NNW)

Fortunately for the Peahi contest, the second hump in the graph of the Pauwela buoy happened before sunset. Today the swell is clearly on its way down, but 8f 13s is a solid number to start the day with.
Much smaller numbers in Oahu, but that should be enough to get the first jewel of the Triple Crown under way at Haleiwa.


Current wind map shows yet another massive fetch for more big waves action: 11f 16s forecasted by Surfline on Monday.


Yesterday some windsurfing happened. My negative prediction was based on the NAM3km map that I posted. Later on, I checked the updated MC2km maps and of course there it was some wind in the 1pm map here below.


That confirms that the UPDATED (less than 24h old) MC2km maps are the most reliable wind forecast for Maui (I figured that out many years ago). Why do I still publish the NAM3km map at noon for today? Because at the time I do this call, the MC2km maps are NOT UPDATED yet.
So, have a look at this map (that shows good potential for sailing), but do check the MC2km maps (link 17) whenever they will become available.
The Aloha Classic has already been called off for today with only Sunday remaining to complete it.

No comments: