Thursday, November 24, 2016

11 24 16 morning call

Just a sunset surf session at Hookipa for me yesterday. Waves were fun because the wind finally released the strong grip it had all day, morning included.

The windsurfing conditions are illustrated best by this photo by Jimmie Hepp from this gallery: some size, but the shape heavily influenced by the elevated windswell.
 

Much cleaner (but smaller) were the waves at Honolua Bay where, as predicted, they started the ladies contest and ran it all day. Photo WSL / Poullenot/Aquashot from this gallery.



4am significant buoy readings
South shore
Lanai
1.5ft @ 15s from 230° (SW)
There we go, the SW energy coming from the fetch that a week ago was in the Tasman Sea took its time, but it's now filled in better.I think I'll teach my lesson this morning! But I'll know for sure only after I check the lahaina webcam and you should do the same if you have interest in surfing down there.

North shore
NW
9.2ft @ 10s from 94° (E)

N
9.2ft @ 9s from 70° (ENE)           
3.7ft @ 12s from 351° (N)

Hanalei
4.9ft @ 11s from 17° (NNE)

Pauwela
7.4ft @ 9s from 65° (ENE)           
4.5ft @ 12s from 350° (N)
 
Yesterday's NNW swell turned N and disappeared at the NW buoy, probably overwhelmed by the massive windswell up there. But it's still at the other buoys and in Maui it reads 4.5f 12s from 350.
Below is the graph of the Pauwela buoy, and we can see that the swell did exactly what it was forecasted to do and peaked yesterday. I drew with the red dotted line what it's gonna do today, so I highly doubt the contest will be on today. But they also have a very unfavorable forecast (they will never tell you that in the webcast), so completing round 2 in the morning it's actually not completely out of the question. Check the dawn patrol show at 7.30am on the contest page.

 
Current wind map shows:
-  a small and distant fetch in the NW corner
- a tiny NNE fetch in the Gulf of Alaska
- the windswell fetch staying strong
- a couple of fetches down under 

NAM3km map at noon shows strong easterly trades.


PS. I don't celebrate any day in particular (including my birthday, Christmas and other non senses alike... I celebrate every single day instead), but someone thought to wish me a happy thanksgiving on facebook and that reminded me that the 8th or 9th annual Paia Bay Invitational friendly surf contest will be on at some point in the late morning at Paia Bay. 8th or 9th cracks me up and it's totally in line with the spirit of this very non competitive get together event.

No comments: