Sunday, March 19, 2017

Sunday 3 19 17 morning call

My morning session on the south shore was delightful. For me, shape counts much more than size and it was waist high extremely clean.

In the afternoon, the northerly short period energy came up (which I completely forgot to warn you guys about in the call, sorry about that) and I got inspired by young Finn Spencer pictured below to pull out my foil SUP board. That was a mistake that I'm not going to do again.

Conditions were pretty good in fact for regular SUP or longboarding and while I was struggling as usual on my foil, I was looking at some really fun waves where I could have whipped some turns. I don't care how long it's gonna take me to learn (IF I ever learn), but I'm gonna try again only if there's nothing better to do. Otherwise, it just puts me in a bad mood because I'll be thinking of what I missed. I know, very not zen, I got to work on that too.


4am significant buoy readings
South shore
Lanai
1.7ft @ 9s from 184° (S)
1ft @ 14s from 194° (SSW)
1ft @ 11s from 227° (SW)
0.3ft @ 22s from 304° (WNW)
The 22s reading is the new WNW swell and it's not west enough for Kihei to get energy. Maybe some sets, because remember that even if it says 304, it's never only from 304, but from a range of directions around 304.

But the most significant reading is the 14s one, which will assure more knee to hopefully waist high waves coming from the south. Yesterday afternoon Lahaina also had some waves wrapping all the way from the north. At least that's what it seemed from the webcam. The northerly swell must have hit a magic little window for a few hours.
Bottom line is always the same: check the webcams.
 
North shore
1) NW101
4.5ft @ 16s from 310° (WNW)
 
2) Hanalei
2.6ft @ 16s from 301° (WNW)
 
3) Waimea
1.9ft @ 18s from 305° (WNW)

4) Pauwela
3.5ft @ 9s from 2° (N)
3.4ft @ 11s from 12° (NNE)
0.9ft @ 18s from 338° (NNW)
 
I only reported the readings of the new WNW swell on the first three buoys and I numbered them on the collage below for easier identification. On graph 1 I put two arrows to show the rise from 1 to 4 feet. Original direction seems to be 300+, so not all that west, but west enough for our north shore to get some shadowing.

On graph 4 I put a red arrow to show yesterday's pulse of the northerly energy and drew a blue dotted line to show what I think the new swell will do. Hopefully, around 3 feet 15-16s at sunset. Most of the morning will still be about the northerly energy.
 
 
Unfortunately the iWindsurf Hookipa sensor reads 16mph from 47 at 5.40am, so Hookipa will be pretty blown out. Below is the MC2km 1pm map and it shows trades from a much better direction than other models (like the HRW), so very high chances of sailing today.


Almost guaranteed actually, seen the lack of clouds that will help the thermal effect.


Current wind map shows:
1) the "usual" WNW fetch (wide but not very strong today)
2) a sliver of a leftover northerly fetch.

No comments: