Friday, May 12, 2017

Friday 5 12 17 morning call

Dry day for me yesterday, I drove everywhere but couldn't find anything that was worth it. I accepted it, embraced it and enjoyed the reading of a good book under a tree on the beach. Life could be a lot worse.

Jason Hall instead found this barrel at Hookipa. Btw, the mystery is solved: the photo I posted yesterday was from Hookipa too, not Lahaina.


Jimmie Hepp followed my recommendation and went to work to take advantage of the last non windswell waves of the week. Photo from this gallery.


5am significant buoy readings
South shore
W
2.7ft @ 13s from 177° (S)

SW
2.9ft @ 13s from 170° (S)

SE
2.8ft @ 14s from 170° (S)

Three outer boys reading much more energy than the surfline forecast, it's definitely worth to check the webcams. Below is how the fetch looked on May 5 and 6 (left and right), so there should be a little bump today and tomorrow.


North shore
N
5.1ft @ 10s from 19° (NNE)

Waimea
2.9ft @ 9s from 8° (N)

Pauwela
4.2ft @ 8s from 83° (E)
3.3ft @ 7s from 69° (ENE)

Pretty good size at the N buoy, that energy should make its way to our shores in 13 hours, as shown in this table that I grabbed from the post Buoys to Maui travel times and Maui's shadow lines .
Waimea already reads some of it, while Pauwela only reads windswell. I honestly don't remember seeing that on the fetches and it's completely absent from the Surfline and NOAA WW3 forecasts, which only show declining energy. Maybe a buoy glitch?

We'll see, stay tuned for a beach report soon. But with the Hookipa sensor reading 13 (8-18)mph from 85 at 7am, I'm in no hurry...


Double wind map at 2pm shows a lot of easterly wind. I know, both maps are hard to read, but I still like them better than tables like on windguru. You see what the wind does around the mountains and you learn from them.
Btw, I added both links to the GP's list of meteo links. Because of the not so smart way blogger manages link lists, I numbered them -2 and -3 respectively.


Current wind map shows:
1) a small/weak NW fetch
2) windswell fetch
3) a tiny S fetch pushed against New Zealand (should get better in the next hours)


That's the automated fetches maps (I put them on top of each other so that it resembles the bigger map above), which show pretty much the same thing. Interesting that the souther Pacific map only sees the winds NW of New Zealand and not east of it. I wonder if it has to do with the time the map is generated. Time stamp say 06Z12MAY2017 +0HR and that is 8pm yesterday in Hawaii.
Btw, OBVIOUSLY the scale at the bottom is the wind speed in knots, not the height of the seas, duh... I wish!


Morning sky.



Lastly, blog reader Robin left this very appreciated comment on yesterday's post:
Hi G.P.

You've been writing quite a bit about Dr. Greger. Loving it! It has helped me to make some more healthy food choices. Just out of interest: How would your typical day of food/eating look like? Would really love it if you have some time for this.


To which I was happy to reply the following:

Hi Robin,

I could just say, 95% unprocessed whole plants.
But I'm going to be more detailed and mention that my breakfast is made by oatmeal with fresh fruits (usually pineapple, papaya, apple and banana + whatever is in season... like mangoes now!), organic frozen berries and greens (strawberry, blueberry, kale, spinach, corn and peas), three teaspoons of ground mixed seeds (flax, chia and sesame) and the juice of half a lemon. I add mixed nuts on and off (I don't always buy them, otherwise I eat too many of them!).
I like it so much, that I eat it also at lunch.

At dinner, it's vegetables and legumes of all sorts (steamed, raw, roasted, but not cooked with any oil).
The reason I say 95%, is because I still don't seem to be able to completely eliminate coffee, bread (even if sugar free and from whole sprouted grains like the Ezekiel brand I buy, like anything that's processed, bread is still bad from you) and a little bit of raw olive oil from my diet. But that's ok. It can't be a struggle otherwise it doesn't work.
That is far from an ideal diet (biggest meal should be at lunch, but I can't do that, since often I want to get in the water right after lunch), and eating the same stuff at breakfast and lunch every day, despite how much stuff there is in it, is pretty bad from the variety point of view.
That is only what seems to be working ok for me and my lifestyle. We're all different.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Hi G.P.,

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. Very interesting reading, might try if the 'double breakfast' thing works for me as now there still is quite a bit of bread during lunch....

Keep on doing what you are doing and keep on writing about it for as long as it feels good to you. I've been following your blog for over 9 years and what a journey it has been so far!

Aloha,

Robin