Friday, June 23, 2017

Friday 6 23 17 morning call

Yesterday was another gorgeous day of surfing on the south shore. Lahaina town was light offshore in the first 1.5 hours of light and windless in the second. I saw two waves during my session that were two 10's:
- size: head and a half
- shape: flawless
- quality: Indonesian

We knew this swell was going to last all week (and more), so there's more to be had today. I don't have any photos of the day (I had a morning work shift, after which I went windfoiling), so here's an amazing video from the Skeleton Coast in Namibia instead. The last wave is ridiculous: a full minute of one long barrel after another. I've never seen anything like that. It's a very demanding wave, with a steep drop and a a thick lip. It's sand, but it breaks in a foot of water and can punish you. It looks like pro's only to me, and that footage is mind blowing. Enjoy the vision.

2am significant buoy readings
South shore

W
3.5ft @ 15s from 125° (ESE)

SW
3.6ft @ 15s from 148° (SE)

SE
5.3ft @ 14s from 151° (SSE)

Can't really rely on the accuracy of the direction (for the reason I explained many times: the windswell (which I don't report) influences it), but the much higher reading at the SE buoy indicates that today's energy is bigger to our east. Bottom line is: there's waves also today. Check the webcams if the sun is up. I set a new seasonal record of early going to bed time and consequently I'm up very early and I plan on being out at dawn.

North shore
Pauwela
4.1ft @ 8s from 62° (ENE)

Nothing just yet on the north shore, other than the indicated windswell that, seen the unblocked direction, should make for some small waves at Hookipa.

Today I'm pushing the zoom to 300%, so we can have a closeup of the Maui winds. The color scale got cut out, but it's pretty intuitive and the every color represents a 5 knots range. This is noon.


North Pacific shows a tiny WNW fetch, a small N one and a NE elongated windswell one setting up.


South Pacific shows a bunch of fetches:
1) another example of a fetch I would have even noticed without the great circles map on the right. No idea of how much energy we will receive from it. Gonna be hard to detect it even when and if it arrives, because of the multiple sources
2) a Tasman sea one
3-4) two southerly fetches, one closer, one further away. Nothing major, but I like both and waves are being made for us.


Morning sky looks like classic trades, and another stunning day is on its way.

No comments: