Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Wednesday 6 28 17 morning call

The dawn offshores in Lahaina lasted longer than usual yesterday morning and the quality of the waves was through the roof. I saw several 9's. Unfortunately I couldn't take full advantage of them, because I was on my SUP since I felt like giving my prone paddling muscles a rest, but it was a fantastic session nonetheless.

Second session wasn't nearly as good as the onshore flow was on it, so I quickly went back to the north shore and sailed Hookipa before work at 2. I'm good at packing I said... that also applies to packing fun activities in my day.

Not sure if this photo is from yesterday or the day before. For sure the waves on the north shore came down a bit compared to Monday. Photo by Andy Bridge.


3am significant buoy readings
South shore

SW
1.9ft @ 14s from 153° (SSE)

SE
2.2ft @ 15s from 166° (SSE)

Trades are increasing, so is the windswell and that makes all the readings at the outer buoys veer more and more towards the east and it's hard to detect the southerly energy. Those are the two I feel like reporting and that's great because the good sets yesterday were definitely the 15s ones, so a couple of feet of that component still in the water is good news again. Check the webcams and my beach report for size and conditions.

Since I highly doubt that any of you guys scrolls down to the posts of 7 days ago to check the fetches that generated the southerly energy, here's a collage of four of those maps starting from June 21. There's waves today because there were fetches sometimes in the past. And if you start to observe them and correlate the size and periods with the fetches that generated them, you'll learn to do your own prediction next time you see a fetch. 98% of the surfers don't care and just stick to whatever number of feet their wave forecast app says on their smart phones. No shame, just a much easier, much less complete/interesting approach that will make them miss sessions here and there. Specially when there isn't a "conclamated" swell in the forecast.



North shore
N
4.6ft @ 10s from 42° (NE)

Pauwela
4.2ft @ 7s from 62° (ENE)           
3.2ft @ 9s from 46° (NE)
2.5ft @ 11s from 49° (NE)
 
I reported the N buoy reading too to let you guys guess that the NE energy should continue also today, but with the mix of windswelly periods at Pauwela and the trades predicted to increase, the conditions will be pretty horrible. At least for my taste.

Wind map at noon shows less wind than the other models on windguru. This is going to be a good test for this model.


North Pacific offering pretty much only the usual windswell fetch.


South Pacific not doing too much better today. With barely 30 knots in a very small pocket, that fetch is not going to send us much.


Trades morning sky and another stunning day is on its way.


No comments: