Monday, July 03, 2017

Monday 7 3 17 morning call

Just like yesterday morning, when I pulled in the parking at Thousand Peaks, I saw Mike Crowe paddling out. This time though, there was a barely perceptible onshore breeze that I estimated around 1-2 knots and that was enough to ruin the shape of the waves. So, unlike yesterday, I left thinking:"well, it might be good for you Mike, but not for me!". This is the pristiness that Lahaina town offered instead.


In the afternoon the windsurfers hit Hookipa and since the windswell waves were down in size, it was pretty much only good for jumping. Photo by Andy Bridge.


3am significant buoy readings
South shore
W
2.4ft @ 13s from 152° (SSE)

SW
3ft @ 14s from 128° (ESE)

SE
3.2ft @ 15s from 120° (ESE)

Those are good numbers at the outer buoys and there is no doubt that there will be waves on the south shore again. Check the webcams for size and conditions. I'm busy with lessons, but I hope I'll manage to post beach reports. First appointment at 5.30am. I love it.
Here's the wind map of 7 days ago that shows the SE fetch that made them.

North shore
Pauwela
3ft @ 7s from 48° (NE)

Add 11(7-15)mph from 78 degrees (4am reading) to that poor windswell reading and good luck at having fun at Pavils today!

Wind map at noon.

North Pacific shows a weak/negligible west fetch and the windswell one.


South Pacific is liking a bit of east this year... we'll take it! Another decent fetch that will keep the flatness at bay. The fat arrow indicates a big swell for South America. The waiting period for the first contest of the WSL big wave tour at Puerto Escondido in Mexico is May 1st Aug 31st and Maui boy Francisco Porcella is flying there. Might be a good warm up swell for him, 6f 15s over there starting Saturday and lasting a whole week. Not sure when they will run the contest, but I'll try to keep you guys posted.


Despite the rain during the night, to me it looks like another stunning day is on its way.

No comments: