Saturday, July 22, 2017

Saturday 7 22 17 morning call

Shortboard + windfoiling sessions for me yesterday. No shots of the day again and again I'll grab a shot of Jason Hall.


To whom it may concern, here's a few details about my windfoiling session. Yesterday I started with the Kai foil and a 2.7, since the wind was pretty strong. Then an offshore squall reduced the wind speed considerably and I first changed the foil for the Maliko, but it was still not enough. Then I rigged my biggest sail (a 4.3) and that was definitely enough for foiling, but the rig felt awfuly heavy (and it's the lightest 4.3 in the world!) compared to the 2.7. The wind picked up a notch again and I swapped back to the 2.7 (I now have enough gear to set up two rigs at the same time) and, still with the Maliko, it was finally absolutely perfect and extremely fun. Unfortunately I only had 20 minutes at that point, but I learned a lot. The main thing I learned is how important it is to have a small/light sail in your hands when you foil.

2am significant buoy readings
South shore


W
3ft @ 13s from 148° (SE)

SW
2.9ft @ 12s from 118° (ESE)

Still background southerly energy at the outer buoys, check webcams and my beach report for size and conditions.

North shore
Pauwela
4.4ft @ 9s from 77° (ENE)

Hilo
6.8ft @ 9s from 78° (ENE)

Fernanda contributed to elevate the size and period of the trades windswell and what is reported by the buoys above is what is in our waters. To answer the reader that left a comment yesterday and the many friends that asked me about it: that is definitely going to hit Hana. Worth driving or not, depends on your preferences. Koki Beach will have the most size which I guess to be in the head high range with possible bigger sets. Hookipa will have waves too, with the usual trades on it.

Wind map at noon. The weird configuration predicted for yesterday didn't happen and those offshores in Lahaina shouldn't happen today either. Unfortunately.

North Pacific's wave generation for us is mostly due to the trades windswell fetch. Pat Caldwell commented: The north Pacific tropics are active across the basin. One can count 10 tropical cyclonic gyres in the wind field between Mexico and china on 7/21. Tropical system Greg is the next cyclone with potential for surf in Hawaii. Models suggest a similar enhancement to trade winds north of the cyclone that could bring shorter- period surf above average within 7/28-30.


South Pacific shows a fetch in the Tasman Sea. Pat Caldwell says: a gale in the Tasman sea has had strongest winds aimed west of Fiji. The area aimed towards Hawaii has had lower end gales. It is compensated in surf potential for Hawaii by reaching into the subtropics. It should become the dominant background swell locally from 208-220 degrees 7/28-30.


Some clouds and rain on tap, but Fernanda is still not in the picture yet (just outside of it today).

No comments: