Thursday, July 13, 2017

Thursday 7 13 17 morning call

First of all, big thanks to blog reader Nick for a generous donation through the Paypal button on the right.

The spell of small surf continues and I continue to have fun with longboarding and windfoiling. This last one continues to beat me up more than I expect it to, and yesterday I also donated my first skin cells to the cause. Beach starting through the shore break at upper Kanaha is a challange sometimes even with a regular windsurfer, imagine when you have to be at least waist high deep. A bump unexpectedly moved the tail of the board while I was lifting my back leg to step on the board and I scraped my shin on the rear wing. Next time, I'd rather uphaul (or wear shin protection).
BTW, If any reader has an old school chest harness, I'd like to give it a try. The higher the hook, the better.

This incredible photo shows Loch Eggers getting heavily barreled on his standup board and it's obviously not from yesterday.



4am significant buoy readings
South shore
W
2ft @ 11s from 136° (SE)
1.4ft @ 15s from 89° (E)

SW
1.4ft @ 13s from 130° (ESE)
1.2ft @ 12s from 134° (SE)

SE
1.6ft @ 12s from 148° (SE)
1.4ft @ 14s from 144° (SE)

Sizes and period of the current southerly energy are both going down at the outer buoys and that is reflected by what's shown by the webcam. But there seems to be also a new small longer period pulse (I highly question the direction of the 15s reading at the W buoy) and that might help a bit. I might skip my daily Lahaina trip this morning because it doesn't look as clean as usual and I work at 9, but if you wait long enough you might be rewarded with some belly high bombs like the one below.


North shore
Pauwela
3.7ft @ 8s from 86° (E)

Hookipa might easily be flat with a direction like that.

Wind map at noon.


North Pacific shows a well oriented windswell fetch. Tropical storm Eugene didn't do anything at all for us. New tropical storm Fernanda should do much more, IF the predicted track stays like the arrow in the map below. Surfline predicts 15f 10s from 100 degrees on Sunday 23rd night. Way too early for specifics, but that'll offer interesting spot selection challenges.


South Pacific shows a couple of decent fetches east of New Zealand. As a result of that, we should see the usual couple of feet 14s in a week.


The north shore was blessed with a bit of rain yesterday evening and that was a good thing, since it's been really dry. As far as today, you know how I see it: rain or shine, another stunning day is on its way.

No comments: