Thursday, September 28, 2017

Thursday 9 28 17 morning call

Yesterday was almost a carbon copy of the day before for me: SUP foiling, longboard (while teaching a lesson), windfoiling and work. I need some rest.

In the afternoon the windsurfers hit what looked like fun waves at Hookipa. Photo by Jimmie Hepp from this gallery. Should be bigger today.


5m significant buoy readings.
The Surfline page where I get the buoys readings is down, I went to the NOAA source and read what I report below, but those readings are the sum of the energy of all the swells hitting the buoys, so they can be deceiving. Once you separate each swell (like Surfline does), the related individual values will be smaller than that. Anyway, that's what's available today, so we'll live with it.

South shore.
Didn't even look, because I knew I wouldn't find any sign of remaining southerly energy. Remembering the fetches, I think there should still be something in the knee high range.

North shore.
NW101
4f 10s NNW

Waimea
2f 11s N

Pauwela
2.6f 11s NNW

The fetches of the previous day (check yesterday's collage) indicate that there should be a bump in the wave size today and the beach report (which today is below the call), indicates just that.
Hookipa was solid head high.

Wind map at noon. Of course, if it will be sunny it will be windier than that. Yesterday it was.


North Pacific has a NNW weak fetch just south of the Aleutians. The low I indicated with an arrow is modeled to move east, get stronger and generate a swell predicted by Surfline to peak at 5f 11s on Tuesday morning.


Only weak winds oriented directly towards us in the South Pacific. A very strong fetch is oriented instead towards central and south America. I drew the amount of angular spreading we will need to benefit of those waves. That's like 90 degrees off the original direction, so it's unlikely to happen, IMO. And even if it does, we might easily be blocked by the Big Island. Next week keeps looking grim on the south shore to me, despite the more optimistic opinion of much more accredited meteorologists like Pat Caldwell.


Morning sky with some upwind clouds brought by the trades.

No comments: