Sunday, December 31, 2017

Sunday 12 31 17 morning call

The massive thanks of the day go to blog reader Michael for his donation. The 2017 blog season appreciation week ends today, the Paypal button is on the right.

A shortboard and a windfoil session for me yesterday, but this photo by Tomoko is from two days ago (Friday) and shows me at the start of a backside cutback on the SUP foil. Once again, don't judge it with the eyes of the surfer, as it's a completely different sport. You can tell by my look how focused I am and despite the lack of big body movements, every little muscle of my body is engaged in keeping the board at the right angle. I often say that foiling is the most subtle discipline I've ever done.


Talking about SUP foiling, I'm selling my Kai foil as I've ordered a Kai/Iwa/Maliko 200 combo in order to minimize the number of masts. Here's the Craigslist ad.


4am significant buoy readings
South shore

No indication of southerly energy at the buoys, the Surfline forecast calls for 1f 9s. Probably flat.

North shore 
NW101
2.9ft @ 13s from 304° (WNW)

Hanalei
3ft @ 13s from 306° (WNW)

Waimea
1.8ft @ 14s from 318° (NW)

SW
1.9ft @ 14s from 266° (W)

Pauwela
4.2ft @ 8s from 40° (NE)
2.3ft @ 5s from 52° (ENE)
1.7ft @ 11s from 358° (N)
1.6ft @ 14s from 326° (NW)
 
Progressively smaller and less north readings of the WNW swell as you move down the island chain. Notice also the direction at the SW buoy. With such small energy at Pauwela, my guess is that the dominant energy on the north shore will still be those 4f 8s from 40. The Pacioos spectrum diagram below seems to agree with me. Stay tuned for a Hookipa beach report later.
 
Wind map at noon shows easterly trades.



North Pacific shows a WNW fetch and a leftover NE windswell one.


South Pacific doesn't offer anything of relevance.


Morning sky.





No comments: