Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Wednesday 2 14 18 morning call

Longboard and SUP foiling sessions for me yesterday. This is the picture I had in mind when I entered the water for the first one. Got lucky to be able to actually take it.


Below is a video with Alex Aguera explaining how to put on and take off the Gofoil wings. My wing was so tight because I previously used surf wax which, as Alex explains at the end, might help getting it in, but then it gets sticky (that's what it's made for!) and makes it difficult to take it off. Silicone lube did the trick and now I can replace the wings without having to take the whole foil out of the board. Stoked to have "the boss" so available for these kind of help.


If Alex is the guy I have thank for making these incredibly fun toys, Dave Kalama is the one I have to thank for actually convincing me to buy my first foil without having ever tried it. It wasn't words, it was the stoked eyes of the kid he had after a foiling session at the harbor.
"If a guy like him is having so much fun with this thing, I'm going to give it a try" is what I thought. I'm glad I did.
Photo by Tomoko from yesterday's session.


4am significant buoy readings
South shore
No indication of southerly energy at the buoys, the Surfline forecast calls for nothing.

North shore
NW101
8.4ft @ 12s from 318° (NW)
5ft @ 10s from 316° (NW)

Waimea
7.5ft @ 13s from 322° (NW)

Pauwela
5.8ft @ 14s from 328° (NW)
3ft @ 8s from 67° (ENE)
2.9ft @ 10s from 329° (NW)

Second pulse of the current NW swell on the rise at the buoys. Below is the graph of the three reported ones together with the Surfline forecast. If this last one is correct, the swell should peak at 7.6f 12s at 2pm locally and I drew the red line accordingly.
What we know for sure, is that 6f 14s at 4am is bigger than yesterday morning.



Wind map at noon.


North Pacific shows a WNW fetch and a small easterly windswell one.


Nothing on offer in the South Pacific.


Morning sky and somehow Oahu has rain again and we don't. Not yet at least, Windguru calls for some in the afternoon.

No comments: