Friday, April 13, 2018

Friday 4 13 18 morning call

A longboard and a prone foiling session for me yesterday. As I can't SUP foil, I'm now going to get into prone foiling. I'm going to learn a new discipline that is also going to make my paddling strong in view of the Fiji trip. The glass is always half full in my world.

The early morning wind maps (link n. -2) were spot on and the wind in the harbor in the morning was
delightfully calm. Here's Chris framed under a tree.


In the afternoon an army of windsurfers hit the waves at Hookipa with many brands having their annual photo shoots.. Photo by Jimmie Hepp from this gallery.


I went there at sunset and scored some really good light conditions for my own little photo shoot. It costed me a parking ticket though for which I didn't get bummed one single moment. Thank you Michael Singer, you really changed my life. The Untethered Soul is the best book I've ever read.







3am significant buoy readings
South shore
Outer buoys are down on the Surfline page (I doubt they would show anything), the Surfline forecast calls for 1.3f 14s.

North shore
Hanalei
5.6ft @ 8s from 61° (ENE)
4.5ft @ 14s from 335° (NNW)

Pauwela
5.4ft @ 15s from 335° (NNW)
4.4ft @ 8s from 68° (ENE)

Lovely readings at the buoy and even more lovely rising graph at Pauwela (below). Plenty energy on tap also today and if you guys remember what 335 is, you'll know where I'm likely headed this morning. First day off in three weeks gonna feel good.


Unfortunately, this morning the wind maps are not updated, so this is the wind map at noon, but it's two days old. It should be pretty accurate anyway, as the forecast is for moderate easterly trades and you know how strong those can get if it's sunny. More spectacular windsurfing action at Hookipa, good luck with the parking.


North Pacific shows that the NW fetch is now out of our swell window and aiming at the west coast of USA. Hopefully we'll still get a bit of angular spreadings. Windswell fetch pretty solid instead. After the weekend swell, next week is going to be mostly about the windswell, but there's more NW energy in the forecast after that. In my very personal season definition, it's still winter in Hawaii.


South Pacific keeps looking good with a solid southerly fetch, next week should have waves every day.


Morning sky.



No comments: